Monday, November 7, 2011

Gratitude-a-Day 7

For my scripture study the past year and a half or so, I've been studying the hymns; reading the history behind each, studying the lyrics and the scriptures at the bottom of each hymn. It has been a really cool experience and I highly recommend it to anyone.

Anyway, today I studied "America the Beautiful" and was overcome with the Spirit as I studied the lyrics. So today, I am thankful for our country. For the freedoms we enjoy and the pride that I feel when I see the flag waving, or sing any of the hymns about our country.

Here are the lyrics that got me this morning:

"Oh, beautiful for pilgrim feet,
Whose stern, impassioned stress
A thoroughfare of freedom beat
Across the wilderness!

Oh, beautiful for heroes proved
In liberating strife,
Who more than self their country loved,
And mercy more than life!"
I am also thankful for my ancestors that joined the Church and for their testimonies, and the legacy they passed down through the generations so that I could enjoy a life growing up in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Lastly, I am extremely grateful for those who have fought and are fighting for our country so that we can continue to enjoy the freedoms that we currently have.


No comments:

Post a Comment