Wednesday, July 20, 2011

wonderful, wonderful day

I know, I'm still at work. And anyone that knows me knows it wouldn't, nay, couldn't be a good day yet because I am still at work. Yet why is it different today?

For the past week or two, I feel like I've been carrying a lot of weight. Whether it be physically (doubt it, I don't lift weights, just run), emotionally, or spiritually, there has been a lot racing through my mind. We're talking at NASCAR speeds. And it has really been getting me down, making me less inclined to converse with people, enabling me to retreat into "people-watch" mode. Which, don't get me wrong, is super fun. But not when I am purposely ostracizing myself...

So why is today different? I finally figured it out after about 3 hours of being so confused about my pleasant demeanor. I had made plans to go to the temple with a friend today after work but my friend told me last night she wouldn't be able to make it. So after a fitfull night's sleep (dogs woke me up at 1am; they got grounded to their kennels after that) I woke up and was trying to decide what to do with my day.

I went through the following thought process:
"Well, tomorrow is busy and I have to go grocery shopping, but maybe I could still go to the temple."
"No, I can just go on Saturday."
"Well, but I wanted to go last Saturday but didn't end up getting to." <--- (Harry Potter :D)
"It will be fine if I wait until Saturday. I'll have more time then."
"No. No, I didn't get to go and know I really need to and I know I will feel better so I am going!"

Boom. Happy mood. It was incredible! And really, my mood hasn't shifted at all today.

Want a recipe for instant happiness? Make a firm decision (out loud) that you are going to the temple no matter what that day. It's pretty incredible. Satan hasn't been able to come anywhere near me today and it's kinda been really awesome!

And, looking back at the conversation I had with myself, I'm pretty sure I wasn't conversing with myself, but with Satan. Amazing how he gets into our heads so easily sometimes. He really does start with the smallest of things. I guess you could say that for today, the score stands at Satan: 0, Hayley: 10 (I get 9 points for the temple trip and 1 for my decision).


PS. For those that don't live within 5 minutes of a temple, I guess this recipe won't really work... today I have to travel half an hour to get to the temple because Provo is closed. Ooh, maybe you could say you will study the scriptures for a certain amount of time at a certain time or something.

1 comment:

  1. Wayta go! I have these conversations often, and sadly, I often let procrastination or the lazy decision win. And you're right, it does not help your mood AT ALL, so why do we still let the adversary win so often? It's like working out. It's always the LAST thing I want to go do, and yet when I'm there exercising, I feel amazing and have the rush of endorphins and sense of accomplishment. Then the same thing happens the next day - exercising and eating well sound so burdensome. Why don't I remember how happy it makes me feel and how NOT difficult it really is after all? The things that matter most take effort and determination, but they are always SO worth it in the end. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete