Monday, August 1, 2011

Handprint on my heart

I don't have an awesome way to preface this, so I guess I'll start at the beginning.

Kjerstin and I went to Park City on Saturday. We got there just in time to get food, grab our tickets, find a tiny patch of grass (where we sat on her daughter's grocery cart cover thing) and hear the Utah Symphony warm up.

(before the show)

The symphony played a few pieces and then intermission. And then...


We got to see Idina Menzel live!!!!!!!!!!

I'd add more exclamation points but I think you should have gotten the point by now...

Be jealous. She was phenomenal. And hilarious. And I wish I was best friends with her. Or that I could nanny her adorable little boy.

Really, though, she is quite the entertainer. Not only does she have an incredible voice, she is goofy and silly and an elaborate story teller that gets distracted easily and I greatly appreciate that. Because that is how I am too.

Some of my favorite things she said:

"My husband complains that I see the glass half empty and he sees it half full. We spent 3 months in couples therapy arguing about it." and then she giggled.

"I had just had a baby and felt fat and like I'd never work again, and then Glee calls me and wants me to play the mother of a girl who in real life is only 15 years younger than me! Glass half full right?"

"We write songs for our little boy, and sometimes argue about 'verse, chorus, bridge?' or 'verse, bridge, chorus?' and then my husband complains that we never highlight his lovely baritone voice..."

Talking about the Jeep tours through Moab: "The drivers were crazy! You are going and you see a huge boulder in front of you and you think, 'Oh that's nice, they are going to stop and let us get out and take pictures' and then they go up and over the boulder with one tire! ...The boys were more scared than the girls, just so you know..."

"I found the sexiest Cole Porter song I could. I thought I could, you know, kill two birds with one stone. Fulfill my assignment and seduce my teacher!"

Also, she may or may not have called Beyonce a naughty word...

Among other songs, she sang a couple of songs from Wicked, one from Rent, a couple from Funny Girl (she said Barbra Streisand is one of her biggest inspirations) and she did Poker face, which she sang on Glee with Lea Michele.

She also sang a few of the songs her and her husband, Taye Diggs, wrote for their little boy. And let me tell you, watching Idina rap about a poopy diaper face is something I will never forget.

Sunday was fun, too. Kjerstin and I made a really yummy dinner


and watched a really funny movie.

All in all, a great weekend.

I still cannot get over hearing Idina Menzel sing Defying Gravity live. LIVE! Amazing.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome!! I wish I went to more of those Park City and Sundance events. Wow wayta do all these fun adventures. Jealous!

    ReplyDelete