Sunday, May 19, 2013

Robert Frost "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" - thoughts

I have been so tired lately. Waking up 2-3 times a night to use the bathroom doesn't help, but neither does growing a baby. I posted a status update on Facebook the other day about how tired I was, and my dad quoted a line from this poem:

Whose woods these are I think I know. His house is in the village though; He will not see me stopping here To watch his woods fill up with snow. My little horse must think it queer To stop without a farmhouse near Between the woods and frozen lake The darkest evening of the year. He gives his harness bells a shake To ask if there is some mistake. The only other sound's the sweep Of the easy wind and downy flake. The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep.

Beautifully written, and I can totally relate to Robert Frost. (And this is big, because I hate poetry and the interpretation thereof.) To me it seems like he is just stopping for a bit to take in what is going on around him. He's gone so far and done so much before, and has so far to go and so much to do after, but he has to take a minute to himself just to absorb the "here and now". That's totally how I feel. About everything. I get so caught up in everything that I have done so far, and everything I have left to do (mostly related to the baby at this point) but I really need to take a few minutes every day and watch the snow fall, figuratively. (I'd cry if I had to watch the snow fall again at this point in the year.) In a couple months, Sean's and my life are going to change forever for the good, bringing this little boy into the world. And then it really will feel like there is miles to go before either of us sleeps, and our baby is like, come on guys I can sleep, why can't you? But for now, I need to remember to enjoy the fun things that are happening. We have a great ward, great friends, wonderful family, and now that the weather is warmer so many fun things to do now. I can still look forward with great anticipation to sleeping without getting kicked in the side multiple times, but how sweet it is that I can feel my baby and know he is growing? Here and now. I have to remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment