Sunday, May 29, 2011

til we meet again

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/deseretnews/obituary.aspx?n=stephen-brown&pid=151181770

I went to a funeral this week for Steve Brown (obituary above). he's not the first person my age to pass away, but it was definitely a sad experience. Steve had cancer for a long time. I knew him and his brother when we all lived at the Glenwood (BYU 116th ward!) when Sam and I lived together. Actually, both of the brother's wives were in that ward as well.

What always impressed me, though, and was brought up by everyone that spoke at his funeral, was his positive attitude throughout his entire illness. He achieved so much and was always so willing to serve, he was, and is, a great example to me.

It makes me so grateful for the Plan of Salvation, that we have eternal families that we are sealed to. I am also grateful for the Atonement and the healing power it brings.

All in all, it was a very reflective experience, and my testimony of this Gospel definitely was strengthened.

Oh, and did I mention Steve was so cool that the Processional was to the Olympic theme song? What a champ :)

1 comment:

  1. These types of situations (where the person is close in age to you) are really quite the eye-openers. It always makes me re-evaluate my life, and all of my "problems" seem so small and I wonder why I ever complain about the little things. I definitely need to work on being more positive throughout life, and I think people like Steve have these trials not only for their own experience, but to be an example to the rest of us. So glad for the peace the gospel perspective brings!

    ReplyDelete