Tuesday, June 26, 2012

the great lemon cupcake tragedy of 2012

I love to bake. And I don't have oodles of time to do so (which might be a blessing, I'd probably weigh 300 lbs if I did have oodles of time to bake). As a result, anytime I am asked to make a dessert, I tend to go WAY a wee bit overboard.

Thus the beginnings of The Great Lemon Cupcake Tragedy of 2012, or TGLCT-12. My mother-in-law's birthday was yesterday, so we celebrated on Sunday with dinner. She asked me on Saturday to bring a lemon cake for dessert, since she was going to be making a lemon meringue pie, and not everyone (me) likes pie. My head about exploded with ideas! I borrowed a fancy bunt pan from my mother-in-law and some mini cupcake tins from my sister-in-law. These desserts were going to be legen...wait for it... DARY!

I woke up early Sunday morning, hours before I had to be at church, to start the fun, um, baking. Same thing in my book. I made the cake and the mini muffins, and then came home after church and began the cookies. Everything was turning out perfectly! Well, the cake fell apart a little, but once I melted some lemon frosting and drizzled it over the top, you couldn't tell anyone. (Bonus! I got to use my fancy cake stand we got for our wedding for the first time!) The tiny little cupcakes looked so beautiful and fancy and tart-ish once they had been dipped in lemon frosting and topped with half a raspberry. And my lemon cake-mix cookies with a raspberry in the middle? To die for!

Finally, after home and visiting teaching appointments were over, it was time to head down to the in-laws! Sean and I took the first couple of desserts out to the car and then headed back to the house to get the mini cupcakes and the dog, who was also invited to the par-tay. I opened the door, didn't see Blaze waiting like he normally is, and knew instantly what had happened...

Blaze ate them. Every. Last. Cupcake. 

I wanted to cry. Punch him. Scream. Anything to release the anger I felt to this dumb creature who was inevitably going to have a mondo stomachache later. Then the realization came: he's tried that before. Why didn't you just take them out on the first trip? It wouldn't have been that hard. Even in heels...

So I was pretty much a crank the rest of the night. Sorry Collette, I hope the other two desserts sufficed...

Aren't they beautiful?

Okay, so my weekend was not ruined in any way, shape, or form from this tragedy event. Sure felt like it for a while though. We actually had a really great weekend!

 Thursday: went to La Casita in Springville for Alex's birthday. These guys are brothers and climbing buddies.
La Casita? It's okay. Maria Bonita's in North Orem is better.

We went to SmashBurger on Friday, and then went to Bed Bath and Beyond to spend some wedding gift cards. Yay for my new avocado slicer!

We saw Brave on Saturday! So good. The music was really good as well.

Sean often plays guitar, but rarely do I have time to just sit and listen.

P.S. Blaze suffered no side effects from eating the cupcakes. Must have been the lemon-raspberry combo. You can't go wrong with fruit I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment