Sunday, August 15, 2010

New York: Day 5

Still obnoxiously hot. I have got to figure out how to break my heat curse. Anyway, every Thursday during the summer, Bryant Park (down the street from Times Square) does Broadway in the Park...

...where they feature 4 or 5 musicals that are currently running.

(Do I look sick in this picture? I totally got a cold in NY. Major suck-o.)

My lineup? Nunsicle; Promises, Promises; Stomp; and In the Heights.

Nunsicle; funny, and seems like it could have a funny story line, and the music probably goes along with the story line, but what I heard I enjoyed.

Promises, Promises: currently starring Kristin Chenoweth, so I was SUPER excited to see her live.


Well, of course she doesn't come, an understudy sings her parts. Which was okay, because the girl that did sing was fantastic. I wish I could remember her name.

Anyway, the storyline for Promises Promises is nothing I've heard of before, and I've heard only good things about it, so I will see it my next trip to New York. Oh yeah, I decided Monday morning that I was coming back for another trip. Maybe in the spring, not the middle of summer/heatwave season.



Stomp: well of course, I've seen clips before. But live? AMAZING. There is a video of it on my facebook, for some reason blogger isn't letting me upload it.





In the Heights: Hayley raved about this show and how good it is, and after hearing some of the songs and learning about the story line, I really wanted to see it. Got to about a month later in L.A. after my cousin's wedding, but more on that later.

Anyway, I left Bryant Park and decided to do some souvenir shopping for myself. Found some fun stuff and took more pictures.

cool cathedral thing
NBC Studios
Another one for you, Rachel. Seriously, I loved the show and loved the movie. Want to see the show again.

Haha, neat.

Then I headed over to 5th Avenue to scope out the shopping situation. Found H&M (great prices) and shopped there for a couple hours. I was starving after I finally left the store, so I stopped at one of the street vendor things and bought a hot dog, then went back to the apartment to read. Hayley got home around 5:30. We hung out and watched 16 Candles (hilarious, John Hughes was a genius) and then left with her roommates to go to Shake Shack at Madison Square Park for burgers and shakes.

Sorry New Yorkers, but I still like In-n-Out better. We met up with someone from their ward, who actually knows the guys that live next door to me, so that was fun. Mormon world is oh so small, even when you are 3000 miles away from where you live. Love it.

After Shake Shack we went home and went to bed. By this point I was getting really really sad that my trip was halfway over. I honestly considered staying...


2 comments:

  1. Sad Kristen Chenoweth was a no-show, but at least her understudy was the rocks too. K so when you get married I am taking a pic of you posing like the Mamma Mia sign in your wedding dress (don't worry, me and Leslie did it once when she got married). I love how you call that the "cool cathedral thing" hahaha. Sucky you got sick while you were there! Always the worst timing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know i am TOTALLY in for the mamma mia pose in my wedding dress! cause i rock. also, i think i found someone to do the whole "super trouper" thing like in the movie at my bridal shower. awesome!

    ReplyDelete