Sunday, August 15, 2010

New York: Day 2

Monday morning Hayley and I wake up and get ready for day one of adventure in New York. Look out Manhattan, the Hayley's are out!

Kidding. Anyway, we took the subway to the ferry to Staten Island so I could do the Statue of Liberty thing.


It was really neat to see this iconic landmark that I've read about in history classes from the time I was 6, and seen in tons of movies (the end of Titanic where Rose looks up at it, for example), and there I was, ferrying past it.


Awesome. Below is the Manhattan skyline.


The breeze from riding a boat and the sea air felt really good in the heat. We got to Staten Island, got right back on the ferry and went back to Manhattan to continue my sight-seeing and grab some lunch. We walked past the Vietnam War memorial (cool)...


...and Wall Street...

...and made a stop at the Brooklyn Bridge.

Jenny and I kind of have a thing for Brooklyn, ever since the Newsies and Spot Collins. Need I say more?

Oh, and we stopped to use the restroom at Grand Central Station.

So after taking a picture in front of the bridge, we walked to Chinatown for lunch at a Vietnamese place (first time, really good), and then to Little Italy and I bought a really cute bag. I love this bag. It's amazing. See future posts for pictures of the bag. It's blue.

Okay, so from there we headed over to Bryant Park for a movie in the park. We got there at 6, and the movie didn't start until 9. Keep in mind we are in the middle of a heat wave. So at 6pm, even in the shade, it was sooooo hot and sweaty outside we were dying. After 20 minutes, Hayley asked me if I wanted to go home and then we would just come back. We jumped up, got on the subway at Times Square (my first glance at it, I freaked out a little) and then went to Pink Berry (froyo) and we went home.

Hayley's roommate had just gotten home from her weekend trip with some ward members, so we heard all about her trip, and then we realized that the movie started, and decided to stay home and watch the Bachelorette. Love that show: so fun and so ridiculous! Anyway, after that we went to bed. At some point during Monday we watched Juno, my first time watching that movie too. Kind of weird but had a good ending.

1 comment:

  1. Sooo I'm so proud of you for eating new food! And you liked it! Nice. Yep, I would probably cry at Brooklyn Bridge thinking of Spot. Good thing NY is so magical to make the hot and sweaty worth it!

    ReplyDelete