Monday, September 6, 2010

July 22-24, 2010: Ward Zion's Trip

So for the ward trip last year, I couldn’t go down the whole time due to not being able to get work off. This year, I was co-in charge, so I made sure I had that time off loooong in advance. Good thing too, the week was stressful enough with last minute plans and people dropping out. But I’m getting ahead of myself.

Morgan and I got called to plan the ward trip in like, May. Early May. We were soooo excited! We started coming up with ideas, which included making shirts for everyone. Wouldn’t that have been awesome?! Those actually ended up not coming to pass, but it’s okay, because everything else was fantastic.

Fast forward to the week of the trip. Morgan and I spent LOTS of money on food, because at the time we went food shopping there were 70-ish people scheduled to come. So after a 3 hour Costco run (and people thinking we were buying for Girl’s Camp – awesome) and a couple other grocery runs, we were stocked up with food. Morgan’s car barely held all the food. Shout out to Morgan’s car!
I know it's dark, but can you see how much food that is? Ridiculous...

Anyway, so Thursday comes around and we are all gathered to get ready to leave. And there are quite a few people not there. So we are calling and calling to see if they are still coming. Somehow this increased my stress level quite a bit. I should work on that. Anyway, we all got down there safely and got dinner started. We played games at the park after dinner, and then packed our lunches for the next day.

Pictures from Thursday night:

No worries, there was still enough spaghetti in tact to feed the 50 people on the trip...

Left to Right: Brianna, Alison, Caitlin, Jake

Left to Right: Amanda, Megan, Angie, Doug, Sean

L to R: Laura, Dan, and Bishop Benson, our fearless leader.

Left to Right, Katie, Jen (daughter of Bishop), Sister Benson.

Me, Aubri, and Maddie, Bishop's granddaughter (and my mini-me, oldest child, two younger sisters, and in a swimsuit with pink cheeks and nose all summer).

Friday we woke up around 6am and started waking up everyone else so we could get going on the hike before it got too hot. People were NOT happy, but that’s okay. They had fun! We had quick breakfast ready and then got in cars and drove to Zion’s.

Side note: our Bishop was leading the caravan, and his car doesn’t read the correct speed limit, so we got down to Zion, well, we’ll just say in record time.

Some of the girls: Me, Courtney, Kristin, Angie, Katie, Aubri

Katie, me, Aubri

We got on the shuttle and started hiking Observation Point, which is an amazing, amazing hike for anyone who has not done it.

Mom, we saw a deer!
My sister and I hiked up with a couple of people from the ward and our Bishop and his wife. We had so much fun!

Me and Carly

Our group of hikers minus the Benson's (they wouldn't get in the picture):

The girls:
Love you Kathy!
Kristin, me, Carly, Courtney:

Really pretty view about a third of the way on the hike:

View from the hike:

See those switchbacks? Yeah, we climbed those:

Don't worry, Courtney and I are fearless:

Carly, I'm so glad you came!

After a long and hot hike (even with the first part being early enough that we were in shade) we got to the top,
ate,
took a couple pictures,

(everyone)
and headed back down the mountain. After we got down, we went to a water hole hidden somewhere in Zion, and played for about an hour or so there.

Trying to organize rides, etc. to the water hole.

The water was so cold but felt so good!

Jumping in:
Drying off:
Then we headed back to clean up and have dinner.

We had a barbecue at the park right around the corner from where we were staying, and it was delish. Props to the grillers, the meat tasted perfect!

Me conducting the event:

Kathy, me, and Carly:

After dinner we played games/watched a movie and ate cookies, (which Morgan and I had to guard until everyone came back from the park, no easy task...)

and finally went to be around 1:30.

Saturday we woke up, and Morgan and I had planned some awesome games at the park. We set up a relay and had 4 teams.




Each team had awesome team names and cheers, and I wish I had a video of all of them doing their cheers; I was peeing my pants they were so funny.

Me supervising some of the groups.

Post relay we packed up, cleaned up and went home! So all in all, the trip was a success and I am extremely relieved it is over.



Side note: this was written about 2 weeks after the trip, and finally put together and posted right now. Also, for more pictures of everyone else, please see Kathy Benson's facebook album entitled "Annual Ward Zion's Trip" and make sure to pay attention to her captions. They are epicly funny!

Dear Morgan, I freakin miss you! We need to play more often!

1 comment:

  1. I loved hearing about your newsy, illustrated experiences! Good job! I'm going to learn how to do a blog! :)
    Love,
    Aunt Jeanie

    ReplyDelete